Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Hey Bookworm, What Are You READING?

[:1]Music, games, movies - they are all here but I kinda missed books



Following recommendation I picked

Ian McDonald - River of Gods

A review and a another one.

No intention to advertise this e-shop but I have bought a few books from them and I must appreciate they sell (often a lot) cheaper than local stores and deliver faster than local post not to mention free shipping.

I am in the middle of the book atm and I am amazed. And Im no sf regular reader. This is a bit different from sf stories I read before and took me some time to get into it. But it reminds me of my favourite authors as well. Set in India and its huge cities crowded with millions of people it reads like Rushdie. Certain parts of the story with bizzare characters and events reminds of Mieville.

Plus its full of hints and links to Indian history, religions and politics. I actually do a lot side-reading to learn something about significant stuff going on in India since Gandhi hoping to get the whole picture of the story. I am enjoying it

It is 570 pages of amazing 2047 India and though I havent finished yet I cannot but recommend .)|||Reread of "Lord Of The Rings".

'enouf said.|||lol nurman.... I just finished The Hobbit in my spare time.|||reading for school for right now. i am trying to finish Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis. from what we have talked about in class, i like Jim's char. he is very much relate-able. for my other class, im having to read up on Arthurian legends. about to go read where Arthur pulls the sword from the stone. awesome. |||Quote:








lol nurman.... I just finished The Hobbit in my spare time.




The Hobbit is brilliant. I'm going to read the Silmarillion at some point|||My latest reads have been books by Jim Butcher.



He has 2 series going (maybe more, I'm just reading the two.) One series is the Dresden Files, the other is Codex Alera.



I read a lot. 1-2 books a week. I've been through many different books, but Jim Butcher has a very entertaining writing style. There are no holes in his stories, and they all flow together and make sense.

Small rant: In the Codex Alera books where he has multiple stories going (they all converge in the end) he'll stay on a story and lead up to a critical, tense point that you really want to read... then he switches to a new story. Its like cutting to commercials at the climax of a movie, and has kept me awake late into the night many times. (not necessarily a bad thing...)



If you read often I highly suggest you read these books.



Other authors that are good:

The Bartimus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud (easy reading)

The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini (easy reading)

Any book by Wilbur Smith

Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfus (been waiting for book 2 for over a year...)



There are so many books I would list here, but you already have the impression I'm a book nerd without a life, so I'll leave it at this



EDIT:

JR Tolkien -- Best author ever.

The Hobbit -- Best book ever.|||Quote:








The Hobbit is brilliant. I'm going to read the Silmarillion at some point




The Silmarillion is a pretty tough read at first and completely different from LotR and the Hobbit, a bit like reading the Old Testament.|||I liked the hobbit, LotR was ok but the council of elrond chapter....zzz

I'm reading Charlotte Grey, or well, I just finished it. It's probably considered girly but you lot. pff.|||Yeah I tried it but I kinda lost track of it and gave up.|||Trionth, I love the Dresden Files. Have you read Changes yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment