Thursday, April 12, 2012

So you think you're smart HUH!? - Page 2

[:1]I'm a little bit like techno except not as hardcore. Among the "large brain" society I'm at best below average so I guess I'd find myself on the edge between smart and average. I don't really think I have any particular talents. As far as math goes, it really isn't a problem. I like learning new things so on summer breaks I tend to study for the heck of it, therefore, when I come in to class, it's not really a big surprise when I know the whole curriculum before hand. I've heard people say that it's somehow unfair that I know all this stuff and they don't: well, it's not like all that knowledge was just somehow implanted in my brain. I put my fair share of work into learning what I know so I'll take a long shot and say that I'm perhaps somewhere above 60-65 percent as far as my knowledge goes. From all the IQ tests I took, I managed an average of about 126, and that's not really all that impressive |||I'm good with arts, design, and writing. We play with the toys our ancestors give us.

I strongly believe that aggression and effort has much to do with intelligence. For example, anyone can dramatically boost their IQ by studying for the various components of the test. Also, as in my case, lack of money stops you dead in your tracks--no matter how impressive you are academically.|||I'm going to try to define a term here, in spite of Mensa etc.

IQ is the genetic ability to be smarter/talented more than the the best trained chimp, or the person next to you.

Environmental factors are only needed for shorter wording of advanced complex problems and lead to errors in measurement.

.EDU levels make a big difference in the total package but are Off Topic in a IQ test,

and Smart is a 20/20 hindsight thing mostly.

Try this simple test.



Spoiler


|||Quote:








In high school, I actually calculated how much I had to study each time to just pass.







Quote:








And have you taken an serious IQ test? The things you mentioned could be done by anyone with 130 - 140+ and talent in math. Always when I see people posting stuff like this, I think - doh, you are best among average. Take that brain and put it to use - get a few degrees, research something, help society by inventing stuff or solutions.




No, I haven't taken a serious IQ test. I don't really see the use, nor do I appreciate it as a true measure of intelligence anyway. I believe in multiple intelligences, not just math, language, and puzzle solving. Wisdom, artistic ability, and emotional intelligences, among others things, are important as well. I try to focus on everything. It's like working on overall physical fitness vs. just trying to build up awesome pecks. For example, by normal metrics, I would look quite a bit more intelligent than my brother, but if someone actually told us that, we would both laugh them out of the room. Besides, I'm not competitive, so having a number to throw around doesn't appeal to me. Everyone who knows me knows.

I also don't frequently bring it up, because when I do, someone usually gets defensive. I hate that. Gala asked, so I thought I'd answer.

And I do put my brain to use. Perhaps not on solving our energy problems, and perhaps not in the most efficient manner (I have a knack for spending a lot of time on artistic pursuits), but I have my own business selling an invention of mine in music recording. It's a start.

Oh, and degrees worth having in the fields of my interest cost money I've never had. There's very little financial aid for non-minority males without military parents, not that I am overly interested in having a mortgage to pay off without the house to live in. I also don't believe colleges are the only keepers of knowledge. Just because someone has a degree doesn't mean they are worth a damn. I found out a few years ago that one of my "frenemies" from HS got a PhD in Sociology. If this brick can get a PhD, the title "Dr." no longer holds much weight with me.

---

Bob, you are a bad, bad man. |||Quote:








Assume you are being compared to other people of your age and your true smartness is somehow mesured.

How well do you believe you will do on such a test?






the voting on this board will be biased

the majority of people interested enough in D3 to follow its development on the internet, and who choose diablo.incgamers as the site to follow are ...

* Pretty damn smart! Better than 95% of others.

of course if this poll took a random sample of the population, then the answers average out to

* Average

but nobody on this board is average (there are a few below average, but it would be cruel to point them out)|||http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

incompetent people lack the competence to identify that they are incompetent which is why incompetent people overestimate their competence whereas competent people underestimate it.

either way i dont see a point in claiming a "rank" of this kind neither do i think that a comprehensive measurement can be done.|||I'm really happy for you, Techomancer. About that invention in music recording. it's a start or for better wording, opportunity. Here in my country it is quite hard to get patent for anything.

I agree with you about the degress, however I don't mean that degree itself is something, it just creates path for further studies. Scientifical work has to be done under appropiate supervision and respected university to be considered a serious effort worldwide.

One of the bottom lines about IQ stuff imho is that these people can get very lonely and easily bored. School/HS is too easy = boring. Getting degrees can be boring too if you can't discuss with professors 1 vs 1 much and you don't have genuinely passionate classmates. By the time you have spent 25+ years to get access to making field research, you can get distracted by various real life issues.

Just imagine, at like 160+ IQ you learn very very fast. Reading few dozens of pages of new material few times is enough to remember it almost completely for month. If you focus (6+ hours a day) on learning something (certain game, language, barely anything which needs usual memory) within several months you can become very proficient in it, like people who have spent several years to get to that level. This means that unless you are universal know-it all type, all the info in fields you are interested in becomes known to you and regular sources like internet or library can't tell you much more and you are left waiting to get into that university to talk to the current researchers and reading science magazines/internet material on what is happening Now.

On top of that - how can you find friends to discuss your interests with? How can you not be bored of daily small-talk. Even relatives and childhood friends can be seen as instinct driven creatures, who aren't getting bigger picture any time soon.

/end of rant |||Quote:












---

Bob, you are a bad, bad man.




Thanks



I Try.|||Quote:








I'm really happy for you, Techomancer. About that invention in music recording. it's a start or for better wording, opportunity. Here in my country it is quite hard to get patent for anything.

I agree with you about the degress, however I don't mean that degree itself is something, it just creates path for further studies. Scientifical work has to be done under appropiate supervision and respected university to be considered a serious effort worldwide.

One of the bottom lines about IQ stuff imho is that these people can get very lonely and easily bored. School/HS is too easy = boring. Getting degrees can be boring too if you can't discuss with professors 1 vs 1 much and you don't have genuinely passionate classmates. By the time you have spent 25+ years to get access to making field research, you can get distracted by various real life issues.

Just imagine, at like 160+ IQ you learn very very fast. Reading few dozens of pages of new material few times is enough to remember it almost completely for month. If you focus (6+ hours a day) on learning something (certain game, language, barely anything which needs usual memory) within several months you can become very proficient in it, like people who have spent several years to get to that level. This means that unless you are universal know-it all type, all the info in fields you are interested in becomes known to you and regular sources like internet or library can't tell you much more and you are left waiting to get into that university to talk to the current researchers and reading science magazines/internet material on what is happening Now.

On top of that - how can you find friends to discuss your interests with? How can you not be bored of daily small-talk. Even relatives and childhood friends can be seen as instinct driven creatures, who aren't getting bigger picture any time soon.

/end of rant




Getting a patent here can be quite expensive (because you really need to go through an attorney), but we have a provisional patent which gives us the opportunity try and sell it for a year without having to lay out $1500 or more.

I like the idea of colleges and degrees, don't get me wrong, but I hate how so much of the world has decided that a degree is the only thing that counts. Most businesses really just treat a degree as a sign that someone is just now ready to learn how to do the job. Science degrees are some of the more critical ones (along with Law and Medicine), but for a lot of other fields, someone with talent and dedication can get quite far on their own.

Yeah, being smart can be really lonely and boring. School bored me to tears. I spent a lot of my time helping my friends learn stuff. Hehe, my parents always thought I should be a teacher, but I just DO NOT have the patience! As far as friends go, I'm lucky in that I'm best friends with my brother and we share most of the same interests (he doesn't like video games, but meh, nobody's perfect ). That last paragraph you wrote is like deja vu though! I'm largely a hermit these days because I don't know very many people in real life that I share many interests with. Like I mentioned in another thread, one of my only friends from school that really shared a lot of the same interests as me (plus video games!) is... having problems. I think he may be mentally ill, which is depressing. Reminds of the classic "thin line between genius and madness".|||I laughed hard at that Bob, then I called my brother in and told him I did it in under 5 seconds. He practically yelled the words. You would be so proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment