Saturday, April 21, 2012

Disney Magic Kingdom - A question

I'd like to begin by asking a question to all of you that have raved on forums, to classmates, friends and so on for decades about The Magic Kingdom at Disney:

Is your brain fully attached to your skull?

Now, first, to be fair, I will say that for 6-10 year olds, Magic Kingdom would probably be very nice. That's the last nice thing I'm going to say.

I feel very comfortable saying without fear of rational contradiction, that Magic Kingdom (aside from the wonderful light/fireworks show at the end and the very mediocre Space Mountain) is the most appalling theme park experience of my life. The food was unbearable and difficult to find. The rides felt like they'd been built in the 60s. Oh wait, they probably were.

Look, I get it that many people have wonderful childhood memories of Disney and I don't discount that. But, I mean there is absolutely nothing that an adult could do there that would be worth 15 minutes of their time prior to 9pm.

As an aside, let me say that Universal was an absolutely wonderful surprise and I could not possibly have enjoyed the day there more. Every ride we went on was superlative and even the food was tolerable (if not memorable).

I guess I'm curious what it is about Magic Kingdom that makes rational adults rave about it. And I mean adults without kids. Is it childhood memories? Is it LSD? Severe head trauma? I'm being lighthearted and silly, but my question is quite serious - this park is obsolete, poorly run and utterly unbearable for adults - what's the attraction?|||Never been to Disneyworld.

But I have gone to Disneyland since the 1960's and LOVE it still.

as do my grand-kid's.

Now on the reasons I love it. Yes Nostalgia is a high point for me, if you don't get this you have not lived or your childhood has all turned to ****

But I will point out that Walt was the first person ever to get that this Kind of immersion experience for a child was potentially life changing and something that needed to be built and got it done.

He's a personal Hero of mine.

Disneyland the place he did it at, the original and still IMHO the best.

WTF are you talking about Adults for? Vegas is for Adults! - Disney is for your kids!

If you live within 20 miles like I do it's an unbeatable deal if you buy the passport.

  • Southern California Annual Passport: This pass offers park access for 215 days during the year - many Saturdays and the busier months of June, July, and August as well as popular holidays are largely blocked out. Pass prices are:

    • $169 regular (this is a deal if your in town a week or two and can fake a address with a friend)

    • $228 with parking (buy this if anywhere in the range of zipcodes it's $8 a pop for parking otherwise)


This is this grandpa's annual Christmas gift to the kid's for me and is such a deal compared to regular rates that if you paid those rates you might feel I/they just trolled you hard but it's the truth and I don't understand why the place is not 100% filled with locals.

Pack your lunches and drinks this is about $2-$10 a day per kid with extras I spend given the amount of times they go.

Yes I have been to Club 33 but I'm not a member.|||Can I ask how old the grandkids are?|||blah to disneyworld, I'm a west coastie and it just felt like a pale imitation, and epcot was a living hell

I don't get theme parks in general, I liked Six Flags when I was young but now its just unbearably crowded and congested with nothing unique to offer

I liked Knott's because they still had a lot of the old school carnival type rides instead of just having 15 ****ty roller coasters, but I haven't been there in awhile to see if they're all still there

I seem to only go to Disneyland about once a year for family get together and that suits me fine, the slow pace and the repetitiveness of theme parks isn't really my thing

OH, Captain EO is back, which is pretty awesome if you want to talk crazy nostalgia|||Quote:








Can I ask how old the grand-kids are?




4 of them youngest is still in the free entry zone under 2 oldest is 8

but she will tell you shes 8 and 1/2+ and almost 9



If you only had the Carnivals, Circuses and Fairs built for adults before Disneyland, and saw all the other things Walt did like the TV shows the Wonderful world of Disney, the Movies, cartoons and spin off shows like Mutual of Omaha etc in the context of the times you would have recognized the change.

FYI (that was a big part of the change over to loving DISNEY as a brand) What respect I had for it has been going downhill but the passport is still an outstanding deal, I also buy the kids a annual pass to the Discovery Center and that is a cheaper deal that's about as good.

But Walt made a big difference by building the first place focused on kid's only and a positive experience.

It was what a parent would want.

and that's the Adult attraction.

I think you still have some growing up to do.

No insult meant but do you have kids?|||Just FYI, Legoland > Disney Theme parks.|||Fair enough Ash. I can't argue with that.

Withdrawn and thank you for answering the question.

Hopefully, I'll have some young children of my own in the future.|||Quote:








No insult meant, but I think you're leaping to some grossly irresponsible and offensive (taken) conclusions.




you are the one who suggested a person had to be brain dead to like the place

|||My dreams have been shattered. Thanks.

|||No harm no foul and If you and your child (I thought pre-edit you said you had a little one) don't like Disney-world it's not a big deal to me.

As grandpa used to Say - "That's what makes Horse-racing"

I said I had never been to that park anyhow and heck I think Disneyland is overpriced for for what it is if you don't get the deal I pointed out.

As far as Disney in general goes I also think it's been going downhill since Walt died but it is still is the largest media conglomerate in the world in terms of revenue and it's hard to argue with results like that.

You should have expected some responses from the other side when you asked for them.

Friends?

No comments:

Post a Comment