Thursday, April 19, 2012

Motion sickness - Page 2

Quote:








Person continuing to save up money for med school to the rescue:



So what can be done about this? Well, it's recommended that you look out ahead and anticipate the up and down movements of the boat or car. In fact, it is chiefly the vertical movements that cause most of the motion sickness. Maybe that's why boats are a particular problem. It has been found that drivers tend not to get motion sickness as often as passengers because drivers are focusing on the road and are 'participating' by using body movements, even though slight ones, as the car moves over hills and dips. However, aniticipating the movements of the vehicle only help slightly, according to Sensation and Perception by Schiffman.

There are a number of drugs listed, but some people are alergic. Dramamine, Bonine, meclizine, promethazine, and scopolomine. Most of them are administered via a transdermal patch behind the ear.




Funny thing, the trip out took almost an hour and I didn't feel sick at all. It was once we anchored it hit me. I have heard to look at the horizon but I had to look at my line. For some reason that made me feel better. The Captain was impressed. He had to take many back to shore for less sickness than I had. I stuck it out until we got our fish limit. During the trip, the winds kicked up and we had three foot waves. It became horrid when the anchor was pulled up and there was nothing holding us in place. That was when I barfed.

We are going out for walleye in a few weeks so I want to get my sickness under control. Despite getting ill, it was one of the best outings I have ever had.

Heres some pics:

Big perch

Cooler full of 120 perch|||or in pill form. also if you take to much dramamine, and stay up through past the drowziness i 'hear' it can cause hallucinations. not that ive tried...

i have never got motion sickness, i dont know why? can you explain that? and i agree with you. its a lot about chemical imbalances in your brain.|||It makes you sleepy because all Dramamine is, really, is Benadryl (diphenhydramine). It contains it and is also metabolized into it.|||i know that much, i wonder why i never get motion sickness though, not what dramamine is metabolized into.|||Not sure. There is much variation of sensitivities. Maybe because it would be advantageous for at least some of a population to be able to perform well when poisoned (if we go by the theory where the body thinks it's sick).|||yeah i suppose darwinian evolution would call that some of the population be ok.|||If raw ginger is just to much to use, you can also brew it into a tea. Sweeten it lightly with a little honey. It still does the trick and it is easier on the taste buds.|||If you get motion sickness from fresh water lake fishing, I would certainly not recommend any deep sea marlin fishing for you.



Barf-o-matic particle-hurling over the starboard side will flat-out ruin a outing.|||yeah deep sea fishing was the one time i got an inkling of motion sickness. however that was quickly alleviated when i realized we were going to catch 100 lb fishies.|||Quote:








If raw ginger is just to much to use, you can also brew it into a tea. Sweeten it lightly with a little honey. It still does the trick and it is easier on the taste buds.




I am going to try the ginger. I have another nine day vacation coming up and will be going back out. Would it be better to buy the pills at a place like GNC or would Wal-Mart be ok? I don't think I could handle raw ginger although I have a huge root in my fridge. Or, maybe take them both.

I am bound and determined to be able to fish on a boat without feeling nausea.

No comments:

Post a Comment