Thursday, April 19, 2012

Motion sickness - Page 3

I just came from over a week-long trip in a very meager 2,60 m wide 10,50 m long sail boat. Only one major 80 nautical mile sea crossing with moderately heavy downwind occured (16 m/s). We sailed the crossing in a squadron and one of the boats actually capsized and recovered because of spinnaker. The waves were big imho, and with only the mainsail up anymore ( we took out our spinnaker as the wind rose ) we surfed 12 knots downwind for a brief moment.

Two things mainly: sail, don't motor around. The sails make a boat far far steadier, and a good keel reduces roll as well. The next best thing: take the helm. If it is a motor boat there is no danger of accidental jibe or capsizing the boat with a spinnaker, so no experience is required to steer around in big waves. I prefer the direct stick approach, a tiller, though. I can't imagine what the feel of a helm is really, but I know a tiller feels good to hold. Anyhow, sailing a boat yourself usually reduces motion sickness almost immediately. Other than that I never go inside the cabin for a long time other than to sleep. Staying outside and watching forward, or concentrating on managing sails helps as well. With the pro-tips of staying outside or steering, I haven't chucked up at sea since I was kid.|||maybe if you werent such a wimp, jk jk. dramamine works really good for my mom and brother.|||Does the ginger really work for a lot of you? I just recommended it to a woman at work and I don't want to sound full of nonsense if she tries it and doesn't get a result.|||its supposed to. one of those herbal remedies or whatever. if anything it might be a good placebo.|||placebo's do not do anything at all for motion sickness.|||Watch Mythbusters.

(And yes, ginger worked.)|||How DARE Mythbusters question MacGyver!

Anyway, thanks. I hope the ginger works for her, making me out to be a hero.|||If ginger also works in cooked form, my wife has many nice japanese recipies which involve ginger.|||sometimes just telling someone you gave them medicine helps make them feel better.

placebos dont really do anything ever. its all a mind game.|||I am going back out. I will not barf.

The captain, who is retired Army, told me I did good. Did I fish well? Hell no. He told me I didn't give up even though I felt the most horrid I ever did in my life. That meant quite a bit to me. My own parents never told me that.

I am going back out and I am going to catch the biggest fish Lake Erie has.

No comments:

Post a Comment