Thursday, April 19, 2012

Motion sickness

Tomorrow is the day that my fishing charter goes out. I get extreme motion sickness and I am trying to find a preventative so I don't upchuck all over the place.

I cannot take Dramamine because it puts me to sleep and the place I am going is almost 2 hours away. I don't want to drive home after taking that.

Anyone have luck with the patches?|||Try ginger. It worked for Mythbusters.|||Vouch ginger worked for me|||I upchucked, but at least it was after we got our limit of fish which was 120. My daughter caught a Fish Ohio sized perch.

Does anyone know anything about Sea Tone or Seatone (however it is spelled)?

It was a great day, we were not fishing, we were catching. Double and triple catches on a line were not unheard of. Just one after another and not tiny fish, fish that put up quite a good fight.|||Did you try the ginger?|||Quote:








Did you try the ginger?




All I had was ginger root and the prospect of gnawing on that was worse than motion sickness. I assume you are talking about pills at the health food store. The store I go to was closed yesterday and I was on the road way before they opened today. I should have posted this earlier.

We are going out again...a few more times this year. Motion sickness on the boat was kind of like childbirth. Horrid when going through it but quickly forgotten.

I was also told a build up of ear wax can cause equilibrium issues. I suffer from that so another reason to get to the doctor.|||I've never tried that in pill form, but have used raw ginger and that seemed to work. I just cut a small 1"x1/4"x1/8" sliver in between my cheek and gum.|||I get motion sickness on boats too, unless they are the tiny boats with the hand-motors, for some reason those dont bother me much. I am fine with airplanes, usually roller coasters, and etc, but sea sickness just doesnt work with me.

I usually take two Achiphex pills though, that works pretty well for me.|||Quote:








I was also told a build up of ear wax can cause equilibrium issues. I suffer from that so another reason to get to the doctor.




I imagine that you would need a LOT of cerumen build up to have equilibrium issues. The otoliths and semi-circular canals are located in the inner ear where the wax doesn't form. Excessive wax might put some pressure in your ears but I don't see how that would affect balance.|||Person continuing to save up money for med school to the rescue:

One theory on motion sickness is very interesting. While in a car or boat your body (limbs, muscles) is staying put, yet your surroundings are moving. Have you ever had 'the spins' when you drink too much hard stuff really fast? Well many poisons have a similar effect on vision, not just alcohol. When your body is still yet you see your suroundings moving, this makes your body think that it has been poisoned. A good way to expel poison is to vomit. Feelings of nausea and being sick to your stomach would also help prevent you from consuming more posion. Of course, you are not poisoned when riding in a boat, but seeing your surrounding move while you sit still is similar to the spins in some ways.

So what can be done about this? Well, it's recommended that you look out ahead and anticipate the up and down movements of the boat or car. In fact, it is chiefly the vertical movements that cause most of the motion sickness. Maybe that's why boats are a particular problem. It has been found that drivers tend not to get motion sickness as often as passengers because drivers are focusing on the road and are 'participating' by using body movements, even though slight ones, as the car moves over hills and dips. However, aniticipating the movements of the vehicle only help slightly, according to Sensation and Perception by Schiffman.

There are a number of drugs listed, but some people are alergic. Dramamine, Bonine, meclizine, promethazine, and scopolomine. Most of them are administered via a transdermal patch behind the ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment