Saturday, April 21, 2012

Le Tour '11 - Revenge of the Chain Drop! - Page 2

I'll stay away from that, but I think you know that I agree with you corax.

So I finally found a better profile of the finish for tomorrow and the climb is longer than I thought. I'll stick with my picks for now, but leaning more towards Gilbert now. Cancellara could handle a 2km climb, but apparently the climb is about twice that length, and unless he bolts early I doubt he can hold off the others. Maybe Vino will slip in...|||My predictions:

1. Boasson Hagen will win the whole ****

2. Thor Hushovd will take home the green shirt.

Those two are undeniably true and I`m an objective observer without any bias what-so-ever.|||

I agree with you on one point, Thor is my favorite for the green. He has shown that he doesn't mind riding a stage off the front to get points, and that will decide the winner this year. It will be good to see what HTC and Garmin do on the flats, whether they let a break go early and absorb the points or what. And it will be better to see what they do on the flats after the Pyrenees.

PS: Glad Boasson Hagen got to ride, he deserves it. Shingles couldn't stop him!|||That was one hell of a Stage 1. Definitely more decisive than anyone thought, I'm sure.



Spoiler




I won't hide the fact that I hate Contador, and I happen to appreciate the irony in his misfortune today. Had it been exactly 39 seconds it would have been even better, but I guess Andy will have to live with 1:20. Cadel looked very good today, I completely forgot that he specializes in finishes like this one. In fact, I would say he was nearly as good as Gilbert, considering he went late and had to run him down. I'm sure we'll see a similar move on the Mur de Bretagne, which is rapidly becoming the must-see stage of the first week (aside from today).

Um, Radioshack was perfect, as to be expected from the old guys. That is the difference between an experienced cyclist and Contador; they know to be at the very front, bouncing bars with the sprinters, when they go under the 20km banner. I really thought he had learned that two years ago, but I guess not.





Tomorrow: Lots of teams with something to prove. HTC/Garmin are always fighting for the TTT wins, but I like Radioshack for it. I forget if yellow jersey starts last or best team starts last, but either way they will get some data from the course and some times to beat. The only team I see besting them is Leopard, solely because Cancellara missed out today and he wants that yellow jersey.|||Belgium’s Jelle Vanendert paid for his courtesy. Near the front of the main pack around the 39-mile mark, the Omega Pharma-Lotto rider held out his left arm to warn those behind him of a roadway median—a gesture that caused him to lose control of his bike. He tumbled to the ground with his helmet bouncing and his sunglasses skidding away, while several others fell in his wake. All of those involved returned to the race.|||Congrats to all the Americans with an awesome win on independence day - really nice lead-out! Has expected a lot more from Lampre and Petacchi.

Tomorrow I think it is the Australians time to celebrate as I think Cadel will overtake the yellow jersey.|||That was indeed a great win for Farrar and Garmin, plus a hell of a way to start off the Fourth. I was very impressed both by the lead out of Garmin and the severity of Farrar's acceleration, he is definitely in good form this year.

Of course, lots of people are in good form, but that doesn't seem to matter. I guess it is more about who can manage to stay upright.

I was really counting on Cadel to take the jersey yesterday too, I was amazed that Thor could stay with that group even when both climbers and Classics guys couldn't. Yellow jersey gave him strength, I guess.

Next two days are sprinter specials, then Super Besse. I'm thinking Contador on Super Besse, he is desperate to get any time back, as evidenced by that badly timed attack yesterday. He and the team management keep denying that they are worried, but his riding doesn't show that.|||I thought Cavendish was far away today - that was seriously an impressive win. I'm doubting that he can do the same tomorrow though. Thor, Gilbert, and Rojas are my candidates.

I don't know about Super Besse. I think that the first "real" climb often dissapoints as the favourites just stay together. However, Contador do have a lot of lost time to make up for.|||Looking at how he rode today and Tuesday, Contador is going to take off as soon as the road goes uphill Saturday. I don't know how much headway he will make, but he will try. Andy Schleck doesn't like finishes like that, so that will be a good challenge.

The green jersey is just weird so far. Maybe it will get clearer as we go on?|||I see your point. Contador said today, that it wasn't an attack but it sure looked that way.

And yes, hopefully it will. I also don't like the way the Tour Management has disqualified Rojas, Hushovd, Boonen and Cav for what I would call very minor offenses. Of course I'm not an expert on cycling rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment