Thursday, April 19, 2012

To be vegan or not to be vegan. That is the question. - Page 2

I don't understand it at all

its one thing to be vegetarian (which I sort of barely understand but I at least accept and do not ridicule it!) but vegans don't eat cheese and are obviously insane people

the obsession with organic this and organic that annoys me too, if only because organic is twice as expensive|||Quote:








the obsession with organic this and organic that annoys me too, if only because organic is twice as expensive




Where are you finding it so cheap?

|||Yeah, that's what seems to be the biggest problem if I would consider a vegan diet, finding out what you could eat! With meat it's pretty easy unless the content is hidden(like a buritto, or a more concerning one, bouillon), but when it comes to dairy and eggs you have to start reading cartons and labels, asking everyone who serves you food exactly what it contains etc.

Not to forget the severe lack of good cake!

As for the egg beaters it's something I think I never tried. I cook/bake with actual eggs, though it might conflict with my ideals regarding animal keeping worse than some cattle farms. My reasons for being a vegetarian is however something I would not like to discuss here

@jmervy: Sure, it's ofc not a case of one or the other. There's people who eat meat three times a day, seven days a week, there's people who don't eat meat at all and there's a lot in between.

That was merely a collection of phrases I get every now and then

@Ash Houseware's comment: Being a vegan/vegetarian doesn't mean neccesarily you are a sucker for the "natural, organic" food from you local area yadda yadda

Another common misconception is that vegetarians are by automation healthy people. Sure, a bloody steak might not be as healthy as a salad(to make an extreme example), but meat-eaters eat salads too and I'm guilty of making a complete steak dinner, replacing the actual steak with a nice, large hard cheese

And I still hit McD and other fast food chains now and then.

I agree that out crappy food in general is what's crumbling our health. My reasons for being vegetarian is not health related

zarf

Edit: Looks like I misread a little and started connection everything that was said, ever, by anyone, to the vegan discussion |||haha, it's the OTF. doesn't have to make sense and we def don't have to stay on topic. |||“Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans, are a persistent irritant to any chef worth a damn. To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace, or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living. Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for, the pure enjoyment of food.”

- Anthony Bourdain.

Hyperbole aside, vegetarianism is obviously a first world luxury affectation - the bulk of humanity, throughout history, simply hasn't had the option of turning down perfectly good, delicious food. If it's obtainable and edible, it's getting eaten. I don't share Bourdain's disgust, but I'm sad these people are voluntarily denying themselves some of life's great pleasures.|||some do it for compassion for the animals, some feel it's wrong to eat meat, and some do it for health reasons. while i don't see eye to eye with it, im okay with vegetarianism. just don't harass me about my meat. as for vegan-ism... idk. to me, it seems to be going a bit far, but each to his/her own. |||Quote:








@Ash Houseware's comment: Being a vegan/vegetarian doesn't mean neccesarily you are a sucker for the "natural, organic" food from you local area yadda yadda




I did not make this claim|||Gah, it's early enough, I'll come in. I've been vegetarian for ... coming on eight years now. (I'm twenty-six.) I'll take your q's one-by-one.

"what made you become vegetarian/vegan"

To be perfectly honest, it started as a "cool" thing. I was following a friend. But following is not always a bad thing. Like I always say, with the recent re-popularity of "love" in the last few years: New Age making a come-back, religions finding more love in a said doctrine, and simple tumblr love posts and pictures ... what's wrong with following THAT trend? Love is good. So why not love? (This can be applied to many trends: working out, eating healthier, becoming a vegetarian.)

As a vegetarian, as time went on, I became more aware of the ethical (Obvious reasons. And I'm not a Christian, so I don't follow the "animals are meant to serve humans" passage in the bible) and health reasons (most livestock are pumped full of hormones so they mature faster, so their owners could slaughter them faster, so the farm could turn a quicker profit. These hormones are responsible for increasing the speed of puberty; Think of the growing bust size in younger and younger girls. This is not sexual, it's scientific. And continually, the aging process as a whole. Additionally, in the slaughter house, {animals have emotions, we all agree on that right?} livestock become more than acutly aware of what is happening, and thus, expend their own "fear hormones," which we then eat=not health. Not to mention that eating meat is the leading cause for colon cancer.) for being such and since I found decent ground in those philosophies, I am still a "vegi" today.

(Note: I have no desire to debate the above, things like this tend to get heated and ugly, quick. I'm just answering a question)

--

Part one of two:

"my best friend is wanting to go vegan. she's already vegetarian, so it might not be a big problem for her. however... i fear for her health. like, she's really small (short and MAYBE 100 lbs and anemic)..."

Okay, first of all, some people are just small. And for those people, that's usually perfectly normal (and okay), Angela on the popular sit-com "The Office," my friend Matt in high school Volleyball, and several ex-girlfriends. The size isn't necessarily what one needs to be focused on (insert joke here). It's what's INSIDE the body that counts. The biggest threat in becoming a vegetarian or a vegan is not supplementing the nutrition meat grants. Mainly protein. (As a vegetarian, I take in about 100 grams of protein a day -- no lie.) I encourage anyone who wants to become a vegetarian, or vegan to see a nutritionist, or take part in substantial internet research. A multi-vitamin isn't a bad place to start.

A word to the wise, do not look at an American food-chart. When juxtaposed against any other culture's, instant conclusions can be drawn. I did my research. I have been vegetarian for eight years, and I feel incredibly healthy, I barrrrrrrrrely EVER get sick, and when I do, it clean up rather quickly, and I'm in great shape. There is nothing in meat that can not be found in other places.

Part two of two:

"im just kind of concerned and wondering what am i going to feed her when she comes over or when we go out."

This, my friend, this, however, may present some "problems." Vegan options ARE out there, and your friend may be surprised at exactly how much vegan food is readily available at common places (a quick internet search should suffice). But, at times, it could be difficult, it depends where you live. And depends how hardcore she's willing to go, I have a friend, (one of the ex-girlfriends listed above, healthy as can be) who will only eat raw food, so unless I'm willing to take her somewhere really nice, we don't eat out of the house--ever.

I'll end with some advice, you live in Katy, Texas? Let me tell you something right now, take a two and a half drive west with your friend to Austin:

Mother's Cafe & Garden

4215 Duval Street

Austin, TX 78751-4341

(512) 451-3994

Best. Vegan. Food. Ever. And I've eaten a fair share of Vegan food, I live in LA, it's popular out here, yet, "Mother's" beats them all. She will love you till the end of days.

(Sexual comment here though, like those shirts say: Vegetarians/Vegans taste better--tis true.)

Good luck.|||Quote:








like those shirts say: Vegetarians/Vegans taste better




Specially when marinated in vinaigrette, grilled with some BBQ sauce, and accompanied with bacon and potato wedges. Yum. Care though, it may often produce indigestion because of the high acidic content.|||I prefer to be vague...

But looks like Blascid gave a good answer.

I got Vegetarian Family and grew up with them cooking 1 week out of 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment