Thursday, April 19, 2012

Pepper gardening - Page 3

Well, a year later and I have done it.

When they say the Bhut is not for novice gardeners, they are not kidding. I lost four plants during the hardening off in the spring.

I now have one pepper forming on one of my plants. It was hard work. They are very picky about water and this spring was one of the wettest we ever had. Luckily, we have had a very hot and humid summer so far and they just took off.

I have learned so much by growing these. I always just used Miracle-Grow on my plants but never really paid attention to the three letters on the package...NPK. I tell you what...fish emulsion is the best if you can stand the smell.|||I have a naga Jolokia hot sauce that is decent, but I like the flavor and heat level of habaneros much better.

What size pot did you have success with habaneros? Can you go into your process that led to the great harvest last year?|||OMG yaboosh! i was luckymofo, but you prolly don't remember that account name. I remember you! long time no see!|||Last year was my first year growing peppers. I got my bhuts and habs to do well last year. This year I lost my bhuts to an unforeseen cold snap in may. The joys of living in the midwest |||Hey boosh!

Brew any pepper beer yet?

I get canned Habanero Jelly from my cousin up in Northern California almost every year, she grows more that she can use.|||I can enjoy pretty much every beer style, but chile beers I absolutely hate.|||Same same

Had one once with a Wax Pepper and even that was too hot.|||Quote:








I have a naga Jolokia hot sauce that is decent, but I like the flavor and heat level of habaneros much better.

What size pot did you have success with habaneros? Can you go into your process that led to the great harvest last year?




Habs are super easy to grow. I just used Miracle Grow soil and watered them. Kept them in direct sunlight at all times. The pots I used were 10" pots. I do have to say that plastic pots really suck. I had much bigger plants in the clay pots. The same rings true with my Bhuts. The bigger, hardier plants are in clay pots and the runt is in a plastic one. I always water in the morning so the soil has time to dry out during the day. I am always afraid of root rot from to much water.

diracdelta, I hear you about the horrid spring. I found someone with a grow light this spring because we had cold and rain for almost two straight months. Next year I think I will buy a propagation mat and my own lights to grow more Bhuts. Growing these things is like taking care of kids. You can't just water them and let them go. Having a short growing season for them (they are very slow to grow) I have to make sure to fertilize them on a strict schedule and move them if we have a storm coming. The wind and rain could kill the plant. I am still afraid the plant may die with the tiny peppers on it.|||Your back posting..!

Sup 66?|||Quote:








Your back posting..!

Sup 66?




Only when I am bored and its raining out.

No comments:

Post a Comment