Thursday, April 19, 2012

To be vegan or not to be vegan. That is the question. - Page 4

Quote:








What I don't get are vegetarians who

a) eat fish. God, often eating fish is even more cruel than eating meat.




maybe because fish sleep with their eyes on open and can only recall, what? the last 15 seconds of their life? (idk if that's true or not, just something i heard when i was younger.) im kidding, but... *shrug* some people feel diff things about diff animals i guess.|||Quote:








maybe because fish sleep with their eyes on open and can only recall, what? the last 15 seconds of their life?




By this logic, my old high school girlfriend is a viable food source.|||Well Leo, my understanding of the food chain, at it's most basic, is that herbivores eat plants and carnivores eat herbivores, so thank your friend for putting herself on the menu.

Seriously though, I had a bunch of friends back in school that were doing the vegie/vegan thing and we had tons of fun with each other. They'd walk by me eating some random school food meat thingy in the cafeteria and call me a cannibal(?), etc., and I'd make food chain jokes like the above to them and then just stare at them licking my lips. It was all in good fun though, we were actually respectful, we just thought it was funny. In retrospect, I really REALLY hope no one ever saw that from a distance!! Most of the people I knew though were just doing it for style points cause they were straight-edgers. My one friend was still pretty big cause he scarfed tons of non-meat. After a few years, he gave it up and started eating meat again and EXPLODEDED! He took it upon himself to make up for the last few years by camping out at Wendy's for about 3 months eating nothing but triple bacon cheeseburgers. I think after that, he just genuinely lost a lot of his taste for meat, but I don't think he went back strict again.


Quote:








...i NEED my meat...




*takes completely out of context*

|||Quote:








I did not make this claim





Quote:








Edit: Looks like I misread a little and started connection everything that was said, ever, by anyone, to the vegan discussion




My mistake

--

About fish: I though about including some fish a few times, since it's supposed to be so healthy. The argument I find most valid is one about animal handling, that fish are living in their natural habitat and are essentially 'wild animals' until the moment they are caught.

Of course fish are being breed as well, and probably under bad circumstances, but I also heard this thing about fish having a memory of 15 seconds etc.

Never really got around to try it though.

As for chicken I don't buy it at all. In my eyes chicken is not less of an animal than a cow, and chicken breeding is supposed to be one of the worst.

I think people should do w/e they want, and if they want to stop eating meat but keep eating chicken, it's up to them. It does cause confusion when people throw vegetarian/vegan around though, what is a chef supposed to think if a guy comes up and asks for a vegan meal, and then orders a glass of milk?

On the other hand the most annoying thing are those elitist vegans going around pointing out who's what by the 'definitions', feeling smugly superior.

I guess I'm actually an ovo-lacto vegetarian, since I eat eggs and dairy.

A question I often get is if I think I'll stay vegetarian for the rest of my life. It's sort of a weird question, but also an interesting one. It's somehow like some people think being a vegetarian by default is a temporary condition that goes away when you grow older :P

I would very much like to hear other vegetarians/vegans/your thoughts about it.

As for me I don't know. Right now I see no problem with it and I have no plans to go back to meat. My girlfriend is also a vegetarian so that's real smooth as far as cooking/eating together goes.(No, that's not the reason we got together, another question we've been asked, though not as seriously )

Also; it's friday! Yay! |||Quote:








By this logic, my old high school girlfriend is a viable food source.




I enjoy your posts.




Quote:








i NEED my meat (to the perverted scalawags reading this: don't take that out of context! hehe!)




Damnit.




Quote:








IMHO, vegetarianism/veganism are logical choices if picked for health or taste alone. You can eat meat and still support humane animal treatment -- i.e. eating 'organic' free-range animals eating their normal diet, not force fed corn. Personally I will continue to include meat in my diet until it is no longer economically feasible to do so...




Technically, a person would be healthier if they were to include meat in their diet. Vegetarians/vegans lack animal fats/proteins that come from meat, as well as creatinine.. The taste part is understandable.



Regardless, I have and always will be a meat beater..I mean eater. I eat 200g of protein daily and getting it from sources other than meat would make the task difficult.|||Quote:








omg, that's so mean!! i feel bad for lol'ing. >.> you can def eat healthier with meat. try whole grain pasta and grilled chicken and fresh veggies. mmm!




Part of the difficulty is that I prefer light, white meat (TURKEY, chicken, lean pork) or fish (SUSHI) but Grandpa hates any food but steak - which he is incapable of chewing.


Quote:








i was told there's really no difference between regular fruits and veggies and organic veggies. -.- could be wrong, but seriously, if you think about it, what is the difference? if there is, can someone please tell me?


Quote:








i know some people who do that; like, they buy the organic and free-ranged meat and swear it tastes so much better.









Obviously, it depends entirely on the product. You already touched on one of the reasons I suspect - shorter supply chains. The organic milk my wife often bought in one store would last twice as long in the fridge as any other store-bought brand, despite theoretically having less preservative. Additionally, farming "improvements" result in the quickest production of the largest product, while flavor is often a result of the opposite (fruit, in particular, is often tastier when small).


Quote:








- Anthony Bourdain.




The god of street meat. I'll have to scrape enough together to eat at his restaurant in the City someday.|||Quote:








Why meat? B12 is in other animal products as well (dairy, eggs, etc.), and some cereal is fortified with B12. Anyway, Veganism is something I couldn't do even though I understand the rationale. I keep perfectly healthy on an ovo/lacto vegetarian diet, and have never once wanted to go back to meat.

So, yeah. Veganism. Be careful with it. Read about it, learn what nutrients are hard to get and how to get them in a safe way. Vegetarianism isn't difficult at all, but veganism is something completely different.

And meat isn't necessarily good for you. Like any other diet, it all depends on how and what you eat. I love when people say eating meat is natural for the survival of the fittest (ask them to describe the theory in any more depth and see if they can) - in the country with the highest obesity rate in the world.




I actually didn't specify meat. If you read my post again I said "animal products" which includes meat, milk, eggs, etc.

Regarding the whole second part (where you mention American obesity): you do realize that most nutritionists and scientists attribute American obesity, in a very large part, to the prevalence of HFCS in 80% of pre-packaged food in the US, right? That's a plant product, not an animal one. HFCS abundance, combined with how many carbs US citizens tend to eat and a mostly sedentary lifestyle, is why the US has a high obesity rate--not eating meat.|||it's extremely hard to find good substitutes for meat products unless you're rich. regardless of how healthy vegans and vegetarians feel, the fact is most of them are pretty weak compared to their herbivore counter parts. there are more professional athletes that drink than those who are vegetarians. there are more professional athletes that drink and smoke cigarettes than those who are vegans.

i think for most people it's a way of getting attention. everything pro-environment and anti-capitalism, anti-conservatism, and anti-government is popular nowadays, so that's why a bunch of spoiled "coffee-shop revolutionary" adolescent hipster pieces of sh*t that were born with silver spoon in their mouths think being vegan/vegetarian is cool...|||Quote:








Also; it's friday! Yay!




yay Friday!


Quote:








Part of the difficulty is that I prefer light, white meat (TURKEY, chicken, lean pork) or fish (SUSHI) but Grandpa hates any food but steak - which he is incapable of chewing.




i like steak as well as white meat too. like, you go out for chicken and someone offers light or dark meat, i prefer the white meat. tastes better... >.>

so cut his steak in tiny pieces or put it in a blender so he can eat it? heh-heh.... <.<

fish is good, but Mara doesn't like it very much. but my roommate does! so we'll eat the fish and i'll make Mara something else.

edit: DFK, i was in a coffee shop yesterday, but i was there to wait for Marahumm to get off of work. i liked it, but felt REALLY weird being there at the same time. plus, i think i did see a few hipster jockys there. >.>|||I laugh at claims of ethical superiority of Vegetarianism.

I worked in a butcher shop.

and hunt and fish and have grown my own food.

I'm Proud to be a Omnivore.

No comments:

Post a Comment