Thursday, April 19, 2012

An act of immorality or compassion: A mother selling herself to support her children?

Say a single mother from a third world country who has 3 children and has no other means* to support them except to sell herself (prostitution). Do you consider that an act of immorality or compassion?



*She can become a maid or janitor but she won't make enough for her family to eat 3 times a day.|||Define "selling herself." Prostitution? Slavery? Medical experiments?|||I voted "other" because it's not just one and it's not just the other. If the answer were so obviously black and white, you wouldn't need to ask the question.|||Quote:








Define "selling herself." Prostitution? Slavery? Medical experiments?




Prostitution. Sorry my bad.|||I don't consider selling yourself immoral. It's just unpleasant.

Buying people, that's a different story.|||Quote:








I voted "other" because it's not just one and it's not just the other. If the answer were so obviously black and white, you wouldn't need to ask the question.




I was in a huge debate with the uncle I live with about "morality." He said under no circumstance should a woman sell herself to prostitution, even if her children starved to death. Of course I thought otherwise. If becoming a prostitute will allow her children to live, then I really believe it is an act of compassion on the mother's part.|||why not sell off one of those kids?|||Of course it's an act of compassion. But beyond that, it's an incredible indictment on the oppressive society in which she lives.|||Quote:








why not sell off one of those kids?




okay $100 for one of them?|||I don't know why people would think being a prostitute is immoral. I can see why some people would say it's immoral to pay for sex, but how is it immoral to sell it?

No comments:

Post a Comment